Choose from the list of impairments to see what John Hancock's underwriters look for and likely underwriting risk classifications or rating.
Alcohol consumption considered as alcohol abuse, dependence, at risk, and heavy use.
Likely Underwriting Decision
Ratings depend primarily on applicant's age, time since last use, and any co-morbid factors
Best Case: Over age 30 and >5 years since last consumption: Standard Plus possible
Typical Case: 150 to 200%
Worst Case: Decline
Factors Affecting the Decision
- Current age
- Amount of alcohol declared
- Any diagnosis of abuse or dependence
- How long abstinent or consuming in moderation
- Any relapses
- Member of a self-help group
- Treatment with medication
- Any co-morbid conditions
- Any medical complication
- Driving history
Fast Track the App
APS, paramed, MVR, blood test
- Provide details of medical treatment and any psychiatric/psychological report
- Document any residential care, including dates and length of treatment
- Clearly outline any favorable aspects such as continued employment, attendance at self-help groups, etc.
- Alcohol Questionnaire